18 September 2007

Audio Links

Currence has passed along some audio links (via e-mail). I am sharing the love.

Two interviews with Davidson -- one by Dummett, and one by McDowell. I am a bit anxious about finding out what Davidson sounds like; for some reason I always read him as speaking with a British accent. Ironically, I was surprised to find that McDowell does have a British accent, since I had never read him as having that sort of voice.

A few Quine panels. I notice that one is labeled as involving Burt Dreben; given that it's impossible (seriously) to find anything Dreben's written, I look forward to finding out if he's as attractive a figure as he's been rumored to be.

And a huge amount of Brandom material, not all of which is audio. I noticed that the Locke Lectures shawn linked to are part of this site; it didn't occur to me to check out what else was hosted in the neighborhood.

Hopefully this does not end up killing some poor fellow's bandwidth; it occurs to me that I've grabbed half a gig of material from his servers. That could add up rather quickly.

3 comments:

Ben W said...

McDowell is from South Africa, isn't he?

Daniel Lindquist said...

Wikipedia says yes. I've never read anything that contained any biographical data relating to McDowell, so that's all I have to go on. His faculty page just lists his previous university positions, and that's the only source Wiki links to.

His faculty page lists the "Responses" from "Reading McDowell: On Mind and World" as one of the few things on his "Selected Publications" list. A response-essay strikes me as an odd inclusion for such a list. Though I suppose "Reading McDowell" was a pretty good volume.

Also, there is a Wikipedia article solely devoted to listing McDowell's published works. Though it appears to have come up for deletion since yesterday.

A said...

Another thing one probably wouldn't get from his writings... McDowell is extremely soft-spoken. (I know there's a joke about quietism in there somewhere, but I'm not going to make it.) This normally wouldn't be a problem -- most lecturers have mics -- but for the first of his Intentionality in Action lectures, McDowell was sans mic. It was almost comical, whenever McDowell would turn to address one half of the room, everyone on the other side would lean in slightly to hear him.